My Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agoraphobia*

Go down

Agoraphobia* Empty Agoraphobia*

Post  Hummingbird Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:23 pm

I never want to leave my house (my safe place) but I have to make myself get out and go.

Last edited by Hummingbird on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hummingbird
Hummingbird
Admin

https://mysupportgroup.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Agoraphobia* Empty Re: Agoraphobia*

Post  Hummingbird Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Agoraphobia is a type of anxiety disorder related to fear. With agoraphobia, you fear being in places where it may be difficult or embarrassing to get out quickly or where you may have a panic attack and can't get help. Because of your fears, you avoid places where you think you may have a panic attack or panic-like symptoms.

People with agoraphobia often have a hard time feeling safe in any public place, especially where crowds gather. Commonly feared places and situations are elevators, sporting events, lines, bridges, public transportation, driving, shopping malls and airplanes. The fears can be so overwhelming that some people are essentially trapped in their own homes — it's the only place they feel truly safe, so they don't venture out into public at all.

Agoraphobia treatment can be challenging because it usually means confronting your fears. A combination of medications and psychotherapy can help you escape the trap of agoraphobia and live a more enjoyable life.

A phobia is the excessive fear of a specific object, circumstance or situation. Agoraphobia is excessive worry about having a panic attack in a public place. Typical agoraphobia symptoms include:

* Fear of being alone
* Fear of being in crowded places, such as in a shopping mall or sports stadium
* Fear of losing control in a public place
* Fear of being in places where it may be hard to leave, such as an elevator or train
* Inability to leave your house for long periods (housebound)
* Sense of helplessness
* Overdependence on others
* A sense that your body is unreal

In addition, you may also have signs and symptoms similar to a panic attack, including:

* Lightheadedness
* Trouble breathing
* Dizziness
* Excessive sweating
* Rapid heart rate
* Flushing
* Nausea
* Upset stomach or diarrhea
* Chest pain
* Feeling a loss of control
* Trouble swallowing

When to see a doctor
Agoraphobia can severely limit your ability to socialize, work, attend important events and even manage the details of daily life, such as running errands.

Some people with agoraphobia have "safe zones," or places they can go without severe worry, especially if accompanied by a trusted friend or relative. Sometimes they may muster up the courage to go somewhere, but they still feel severely distressed and anxious.

Often, however, agoraphobia can make you feel like a prisoner in your own home. If you anticipate having a panic attack when you venture out in public, you may indeed have one — causing a vicious cycle. The number of places you're able to go may become fewer and fewer.

Don't let agoraphobia make your world smaller. Call your doctor if you have symptoms of agoraphobia.
Hummingbird
Hummingbird
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hummingbird Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 am

Hey, Hey, I made it to church last Sunday night!!! Big step for me!!
Hummingbird
Hummingbird
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum