My Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)

Go down

Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) Empty Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)

Post  Guest Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Peripheral artery disease, also known as peripheral arterial disease, is a common circulatory problem in which narrowed arteries reduce blood flow to your limbs.

When you develop peripheral artery disease (PAD), your extremities — usually your legs — don't receive enough blood flow to keep up with demand. This causes symptoms, most notably leg pain when walking (intermittent claudication).

Peripheral artery disease is also likely to be a sign of widespread accumulation of fatty deposits in your arteries (atherosclerosis). This condition may be reducing blood flow to your heart and brain, as well as your legs.

Often, you can successfully treat peripheral artery disease by quitting tobacco if you smoke, exercising and eating a healthy diet. Early diagnosis and treatment can prevent peripheral artery disease from getting worse and also help you reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.

While many people with peripheral artery disease have mild or no symptoms, about one in 10 experiences leg pain when walking (intermittent claudication).

Intermittent claudication is characterized by muscle pain or cramping in your legs or arms that's triggered by activity, such as walking, but disappears after a few minutes of rest. The location of the pain depends on the location of the clogged or narrowed artery. Calf pain is most common.

The severity of intermittent claudication varies widely, from mild discomfort to debilitating pain. Severe intermittent claudication can make it hard for you to walk or do other types of physical activity.

Signs and symptoms of peripheral artery disease include:

* Painful cramping in your hip, thigh or calf muscles after walking or climbing stairs (intermittent claudication)
* Leg numbness or weakness
* Coldness in your lower leg or foot, especially when compared with the other leg
* Sores on your toes, feet or legs that won't heal
* A change in the color of your legs
* Hair loss on your feet and legs
* Changes in your toenails

If peripheral artery disease progresses, pain may even occur when you're at rest or when you're lying down (ischemic rest pain). It may be intense enough to disrupt sleep. Hanging your legs over the edge of your bed or walking around your room may temporarily relieve the pain.

Last edited by tracker on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) Empty Re: Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)

Post  Guest Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:54 pm

I have had at least 13 different procedures in the last year and a half, since i have been diagnosed with PAD. I also have been diagnosed with CAD and recurring DVT due to an unknown blood disorder that makes my blood too thick. I have had 2 blood clots that broke loose and about died from them. Out of the 13 procedures, 5 of them were major surgeries, one of which I spent 18 days in the hospital.

Back to top Go down